Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sabbath


I wake up and notice that the early-morning sun is not streaming through the windows in my hut. It's also a bit cooler than usual. Once outside, I see a low-lying fog that blocks out the sun. Later I learn that it will be like this for a few more weeks.


After breakfast, I head over to the hospital to meet my my friend Papa. Together we hop on a motorcycle and ride to an outlying village called Casaré. It's time for Sabbath School! Upon arriving, a group of kids gathers around and we sing songs, pray, and share a Bible story. I tell the story in English with a little felt board for illustration while Papa translates into Nangeré (the local language). The whole time I'm thinking to myself "I'm really not a very good teacher." The blank look on their faces confirm this thought. I wonder if what I'm saying is getting through to them. Could I be more animated? Maybe I need to act out the different characters in the story. I could definitely show more excitement. After finishing, we jump back on the motorcycle and head in the opposite direction toward another village called Nangéré. We speed through the market in "downtown" Béré. Today, like every Saturday, is the big market day. It's not the only time that you buy things; the market is there all week. But Saturday is the day when everyone shows up from all over the place. It's a big deal.


After passing several cow herds, police outposts, and pickup trucks jammed full of Arabs, we arrive in Nangéré. We are greeted by a group of 20-30 children. They chase after us screaming "Nasara!" which means "white man". I pray for God to give me words, and the story goes much smoother this time.


After Sabbath School, we return to the hospital compound and head to church. The Adventist school/church is right outside the hospital wall and also very close to my house, which is a blessing. Many people have to travel super far to come to work/school/church. I've heard of one man who rides his bicycle 80km to attend the Bible school in Dabgué. Church begins with songs from the youth choir. The music is super loud with heavy rhythm, as the only musical accompaniment is a drum set. The service alternates between music, call to offering, more music, prayer, more music, scripture, more music, a sermon, and more music. Everything is in French/Nangeré and is hard to follow, but I've been studying French in my spare time and understand much more than last week. Success! After church we have a big potluck in the hospital with all of the American volunteers. I don't receive a whole lot of nutrition during the week, and so I try to tank up on fruits and vegetables. Everything is so good and I end up eating way too much. My camping mat is calling my name…

The phone rings and I awake from my afternoon nap. It's Zach calling. "Wanna go to the river?" Heck yes I do. I head over to the hospital and jump into the back of the pickup. It's like 5-6km or so to the river. Along the way we pass several Fulani women walking home after the big market day. The Fulani are a nomadic group that can be recognized by their bright, colorful clothing and jewelry. We smile and exchange greetings in Nangeré as we speed past.

"Lapia, lapia-ay?"
"Lapia!"

The river is dirty and the banks are covered in cow poop, but there is a strong current. I strip down and splash into the water with Zane and Lyle, Olen's little boys. The water is sooooo refreshing. Olen and I climb a tree and jump off an overhanging branch into the river below. Lyle throws mud/poop at me. I don't care. We get out, dry off, and head back home.

Some of my friends are playing soccer by the school, and I join in. They are all MUCH better than I, but I do my best and score a couple goals. We play until dark. I walk home and decide that it's time to play Uno with the kids. We grab a straw mat and roll it out under my solar lamp hanging from the clothesline. Speaking in broken French, I teach them how to play. Luckily Uno is a pretty simple game. They love it, I love it, and it's all good. After playing for a half-hour or so, I'm invited to the McDowell's house for a movie night. Together with Zach, Miki, Allah, the McDowell family, and some other short-term volunteers from the States, we all pile in the living room and share popcorn. Yeah, we're roughin' it here in Africa. :)

After the movie I head home. I'm exhausted, but before I can sleep I have to get rid of a scorpion in my hut. I study some French and fall asleep. It's been a wonderful Sabbath, full of good times with my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment